Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions (and their answers) about Hilltop View Lodge.
- Where exactly is the cabin located? Hilltop View Lodge is located in the town of North Haverhill, NH. It is about 5 miles from the Vermont border, about 2/3 of the way up the state. It is approximately 10 minutes from I-91 and about 35 minutes from I-93. It is situated within the private Mountain Lakes Four-Season Recreational Community.
- Are there any places to swim/boat/fish/hike nearby? YES! It's New Hampshire! There are lakes, streams, rivers and trails everywhere! But, specifically there are 2 very large lakes within the Mountain Lakes community as well as an outdoor swimming pool. You can swim, fish, and boat in the lakes. Canoes and kayaks are available for rent, also. As for hiking, there's plenty of places nearby to just wander through the woods, but the closest major hiking trail is the Chippewa Trail up to the summit of Black Mountain. We suggest that you get a trail map prior to your arrival, or use one of the trail guides at the cabin.
- How close are you to shopping and/or attractions? We are about 10 minutes from downtown Woodsville, NH where you'll find grocery stores, department stores, restaurants, fast-food establishments, the NH Wine & Liquor Outlet, gas stations and so on. We are also near a few local attractions, but the more "touristy" areas of Littleton, Lincoln, Woodstock and Sugar Hill are about 25-35 mintues by car. There is more information about local attractions and resources in the "House Book" at the cabin.
- Exactly how "secluded" is the cabin? The home is situated on over an acre of wooded privacy, at the end of a quiet road with no thru-traffic. It is quiet most of the time, but there are a few neighbors nearby. The home is not so remote that you feel like you're cut off from the world, but it is very serene and you will undoubtedly get a lot of peace and quiet!
- Are there any taxes or cleaning fees? We do not charge taxes for your stay since we are a private, family-owned establishment. However, there is a small cleaning fee that we will ask you to pay as part of your fee. For 2018 it is $60. The only other fees you'll be responsible for is the security deposit, which will be returned to you after you check out, provided there are no damages and/or major cleaning issues. There is a $50 trash fee (if you don't remove your trash from the property when you leave) and a $30 linen fee, if you decide to use our linens instead of bringing your own.
- Will my kids get bored? Well, it depends on the kinds of things your kids like to do. If they enjoy outdoor activities, no, they probably won't get bored. If your kids love to play video games all day, well... they might get a little bored. Encourage them to roast some marshmallows over the fire pit with you, take a walk in the woods, go for a swim at the lake, or try something new and you all might be pleasantly surprised (and entertained)!
- What if it rains? What kind of stuff do you have to do at the house? We have board games, card games, satellite TV, a Blu-Ray player, a pool table in the basement, as well as a foosball table and dart board. You can sit on the covered porch and read a book or chat, or you could take a drive and see some antique and souvenir shops. Don't worry - you'll find something to do!
- Do I need to bring my own linens, towels and pillows? It is recommended. We have bedsheets and bath towels available for your use, however we must charge the $30 linen fee to use them. This is the fee our housekeeping staff charges to launder them. Pillows, comforters, and blankets are available for you to use for free, however you will need to bring pillowcases for the pillows. Please call or email us for bed sizes.
- Do we need to bring spices, salad dressings and condiments? What about pots, pans, silverware, utensils, etc? Typically there's plenty of spices, condiments and salad dressings at the house, so usually we recommend you take inventory at the house before you go shopping. It depends on how much the previous guests used and/or left behind. As for kitchenware, we've stocked the kitchen with pots, pans, silverware, dishes, servingware, and so on. You should have everything you need for your stay. If you are looking to use a specific item, please ask - we might have it.
- Do you offer discounts, packages, specials, or rewards? Yes! We've tried our best to competitively price the rental fees for Hilltop View Lodge. We've looked at other cabins similar to ours in our area and what they're charging and we try to be as competitive as possible. We will sometimes offer discounts on an individual basis, such as for returning renters and frequent visitors - please call for more information. We offer specials and packages from time to time, too.